Arlington Designer Homes is committed to green building for the health benefits, energy savings, and reduced environmental footprint it provides for our buyers and our community. With constantly changing regulations, technologies and products, buidling a new green home from the ground up isn't always easy - but it's always interesting!

Welcome to our behind-the-scenes blog about green building and remodeling, where you can watch a green home go up step-by-step and learn about using green building techniques for your own home. And visit our website at to learn even more about green building and remodeling.

March 29, 2011

Spring in DC

As the cherry blossoms start to bloom and we brace ourselves to take my 2-year-old son to the kite festival on the mall for the first time, I will diverge from my usual discussions here. I want to talk a little bit about the Washington D.C. area. Having been born in Washington D.C. and having lived my whole life in Arlington, I am something of a rarity around here - a native.
The Washington Metro area is such a great place to live. Our proximity to so many things and the high standard of living we enjoy here has kept me here my whole life. Especially in spring, I feel fortunate to live in this area. I can take the opportunity to hit a golf ball up the 14th fairway at Hains Point, where I have my very own private showing of cherry blossoms, or walk along the Potomac River and maybe catch a glimpse of a passing bald eagle.
We have a lot of plans this spring and summer. We’re going to catch a few concerts at Wolf Trap and Merriweather Post Pavilion – great outdoor venues. We’ll slip into D.C. on a warm spring night and see a free performance at the Kennedy Center’s Millenium stage. Wander over past the Iwo Jima memorial and take in the beauty and solemnity of Arlington Cemetery and visit the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.  And we’ll tour the world while staying in Arlington, going out to eat.  One night it will be Thai, then Ethiopian, then a great burger from Ray’s Hell burger.  All pretty cheap, and all delicious.
In short, if you are lucky enough to be from Northern Virginia, then you know what I mean when I say there is no better place to be when the cherry blossoms are blooming. It means you are in for a great spring in a great place.

No comments:

Post a Comment